Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Quickie Update

I was waiting until my most recent endocrinology appointment to do an update, but since the office just called and put off the appointment until Friday (lab work not back yet), I'll give the short version here.

The summary of what we have thus far:
MRI showing a 2mm adenoma, low and central in the anterior lobe of the pituitary.
Blood workup #1: Normal GH, borderline cortisol, high TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone)
Blood workup #2: Normal GH, Normal IGF-1, high cortisol, borderline TSH, low thyroid
Blood workup #3 (with cortisol suppresion): Cortisol not suppressed.

Because the suppression test didn't suppress my cortisol levels, we did the more formal test for Cushing's (24-hour urinalysis, whee!), and yet another more generalized blood panel. That's what the lab is slow getting back with. I should get those results on Friday morning when I go in.

Given the low thyroid and high cortisol, I'm suddenly not feeling as guilty about the 40 lbs. I've put on in the last decade. With both of those going on, weight gain is pretty much inevitable. It also explains the great exercise mystery of three years ago - to wit: how could I train for a triathlon for six months and lose a total of three pounds?

4 comments:

Becky G said...

It's good to hear from you, Cindy. I hope things turn out well for you. I went for my second allergist appointment today, and am allergic to a lot more things than I thought.

Alecia E. said...

Cindy,

Glad to have the update on your health. There is a lady I was in contact with shortly before I had my surgery at UCLA Medical Center, Sharmyn McGraw. She is their pituitary support contact person and was diagnosed with Cushings a few years ago. She had an article featured in Woman's Day Magazine that I thought you might find of interest - I would encourage you to read her story:

http://www.cushings-help.com/media_sharmyn.htm

I wish you the best in your upcoming treatment that you continue to get the answers you need. Keeping you in my thoughts.

--Alecia

polarchip said...

Well, I hope the results come back on Friday saying EVERYTHING is NORMAL!

There's normal fluctuations that the body goes through and sometimes the tests can catch that. How are you feeling? (Besides the stress of the unknown medical situation?)

I'll be thinking of you! Try to focus on things you enjoy doing, and take care!

Miss Chris said...

I'm crossing my fingers for you! Hoping for good results.