Sunday, November 30, 2008

Have a Novel - and a Basset


Done! I'm done, done, done, done, done!

The novel, tentatively entitled Drowned Deep, is finished. The first draft stands at 50,646 which includes two (2!) prologues, an epilogue, and various other word boosters. As I noted before, I actually hit the end of the story at about 43,000 words, the epilogue, first prologue and a couple of internal scenes got it to 49,644 as of this morning. Whereupon we hit the road home, and between car troubles, dinner, and getting back in gear at home I didn't actually get back to the file until eight tonight. Fortunately, 300 something words is a cinch at this point - though figuring where to stick them was something of a problem. Hence the second prologue. One or both of them may eventually go away. One or both of them may eventually move into the body of the novel. But right now they're prologues. The epilogue is probably staying. I like it, and it matches the epilogue at the end of Ghost Dancer fairly nicely.

Now I'll ignore the file for a month or two, because if I go read it right now, I'll be convinced it's a pile of crap. Whereas if I wait until my memory has faded somewhat, I may be pleasantly surprised - or not - but at least it won't be certain that I'll hate it.

In the meanwhile, have a basset. Nicky is glad to be home. Being one of four dogs is exhausting. Unfortunately for him, he's going to have to get used to it, because sometime in January or February, my father-in-law is moving in with us (until we can get the house sold, and him into an apartment, which will probably take some time), complete with his three dogs. Rest up while you can, Nicky!

5 comments:

Becky G said...

Congratulations on finishing!

Did you watch the dog show on Thanksgiving? I did. A basset won his group, and I thought of you and Nicky.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing NaNo! As always I'm already excited about reading the novel, though it will probably be a few months before I actually get to read it. I hope the addition of a your fil and three dogs doesn't make life too difficult in the next months.

Perpetual Beginner said...

Ihanks!

Becky, I didn't see the dog show on Thanksgiving, but I did see a Youtube clip of Noodles the basset making his rounds. His face was much like Nicky's, but Noodles is much stubbier in the legs. Of course that might be because Nicky is 3-4" too tall at the shoulder (18-19" by my measure).

Kathryn, your Dad has the file, whenever you're ready to read. I'm looking forward to your opinion.

And two bassets and two dachshunds under one roof - it's going to be lively around here!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I tried to do NaNoWriMo a few years ago. I got a few pages in and gave up, convinced it was total crap. I should see if I could find that file and read it.

50,000 words seems huge. How many pages is that?

Perpetual Beginner said...

MN, this one clocks in at 109 pages. My first Nano clocked in at 121 - that seem about the range, somewhere in the low hundreds. I've done this five times so far, complete it four, and then had one that went the way yours did - just crapped out about ten pages in because it was going nowhere.